Advanced Academic Studies Programme in a Cambridge College
Older students (15-18 years old) have a unique opportunity to attend an immersive course in a world-class university at a key stage in their education. They complete an exciting programme, comprising three main elements:
- Specialist academic subject tuition, including supervisions (Oxbridge-style, interactive small group discussions), interactive workshops, hands-on team projects and case studies, led by highly qualified university-level tutors and industry experts
- Leadership workshops to develop transferable skills, such as public speaking, critical thinking, creativity, leadership, teamwork and global awareness
- University preparation workshops, with a focus on practical activities to help students develop higher-level academic competencies required for their university applications and subsequent degree studies, such as independent study, research, essay writing, personal statements, one-to-one interview practice and personal development planning
In addition, the older students’ timetables will include:
- seminars in university selection and degree subject choices
- admissions talks
- interactive lectures by university guest speakers in degree subjects, such as astronomy, archaeology, virtual reality, bio-medical research, earth science and marine conservation
- study visits and professional talks related to their chosen specialist subject
- mentoring by Cambridge Undergraduates and Graduates in their subject.
Students attending the older programme will be asked to write a short personal statement before they arrive (if they have not already done so) in order that they have a draft to work on during the course.
Students who are not already taught in English will complete a short English placement test when they arrive to ensure they are assigned to the right level of class with other students of a similar age and English ability. The level and pace of teaching will be adapted to suit the students’ needs and one-to-one support will be given to students who are experiencing difficulties.
The Cambridge Dream programme provides vital mentoring and practical support to boost students’ skills and confidence at this crucial time in their academic lives.